Thursday, February 9, 2012

"Obama-phones"

So I am reading the news like I always do and I come across this on Yahoo News:  "Last year, a federal program paid out $1.6 billion to cover free cell phones and the monthly bills of 12.5 million wireless accounts. The program, overseen by the FCC and intended to help low-income Americans, is popular for obvious reasons, with participation rising steeply since 2008, when the government paid $772 million for phones and monthly bills." I have to admit, I was stunned.  I always wondered how the people standing in line at the welfare office or in unemployment lines were talking and/or texting on their "smart phones". Now I know. Apparently I missed the 28th amendment (they must have let it off the .gov website), which provides for free access to wireless networks for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment